The beauty of personal branding comes from defining and knowing what makes you unique and valuable, and leveraging your brand to communicate your value proposition to employers and hiring professionals or people considering doing business with you.
Here’s what defining and communicating your executive brand does for you:
1. Helps you reconnect with your values and passions so that you can move toward working your passion.
2. Empowers you to gain clarity about your authentic self and the combination of gifts, skills, passions, and values that differentiates the unique promise of value you offer over your competition in the marketplace.
3. Forces you to be introspective and reflective, and to examine the weaknesses that may be holding you back.
4. Helps you identify your competition and target audience, so that you can create differentiating personal marketing communications designed to resonate with them.
5. Beckons you to solicit feedback from those who know your value best (peers, management, staff, employees, clients, mentors, etc.), helping you understand the true measure of your brand — how you’re perceived by the external world.
6. Helps you take control of your identity and the way you’re perceived by others.
7. Generates chemistry for you and helps people assessing you determine whether you possess the good-fit qualities they’re looking for.
8. Your strategic brand communications plan – expressed consistently and constantly across all channels – helps you position your value proposition directly in front of your target audience and stay top of mind with them.
9. Helps you establish yourself as an industry subject matter expert and thought leader within your area(s) of expertise.
10. Your personal brand can be the deciding factor in landing a plum job or advancing your career.