A blogging friend, Ryan Rancatore, generated some provocative comments with his post, Hate “Personal Branding”? Try These 25 Alternatives.
His post is based on a simple query he tweeted to some fellow bloggers in the branding space, “What would you call personal branding if you could give it an alternate name”? in response to a blog post of mine.
Here are a few answers he received:
• Professional Identity, Career Niche, Professional Brand Marketing — from Heather E. Coleman
• Promise Building — from Mohammed Al-Taee
• Career Development, Career Management, Personal Positioning, Reputation Management, Personal Advancement — from Ryan Rancatore
• Individualization — from Keith McIlvaine
• Lifestyle Management — from Hajj Flemings
• Inborn Character Assessment & Management Equals Reputation Advancement (I-CAMERA) — from Melissa Cooley
• Unique Value Message, Value Promise, Value Differentiation — from me.
What do you think? Would the confusion and disdain cease, and the concept be more readily embraced if personal branding had a different name?