LinkedIn is undeniably the executive job-seeker’s most important and powerful online personal branding tool.
In fact, NOT having a LinkedIn profile can actually be detrimental to your job search.
Along with being invisible to the very people you need to be positioned in front of, you’re representing yourself as out of date with the digital age and the latest career management strategies.
Why is LinkedIn SO Important?
- Your branded LinkedIn profile helps position your promise of value to your target employers, advance your thought leadership, and expand your brand community.
- Recruiters have embraced LinkedIn as their #1 tool for referrals, candidate research and sourcing, and for publishing job openings. That makes LinkedIn one of the best places to be found online by recruiters and hiring decision makers at your target companies.
- LinkedIn constantly adds new features and tools to help you advance your job search and career.
- Networking is the best way to land your next great gig. LinkedIn offers the best social networking experience.
- Your LinkedIn profile provides critical “social proof” corroborating the claims you’ve made about yourself in your other career materials (resume, biography, cover letter, other online profiles and web pages).
In my experience, many c-suite and senior-level executives know at least some of the reasons LinkedIn is important.
But many of them don’t know how to use it to stand out, generate interest, build brand visibility, and accelerate their search.
Whether or not you want to accept it, you’re being Googled and evaluated by what people find on the first page of search results for “your name”. Decisions are being made about you when you’re not actively job-seeking, and BEFORE you ever send anyone your resume.
In Google search, your LinkedIn profile – if you have one – will likely show up within the first 3 search results. That’s powerful stuff!
The content in your LinkedIn profile needs to be compelling and brand-reinforcing – to qualify you as a great-fit candidate – and boost relevant, value-add search results for you, when recruiters and hiring decision makers search online for candidates like you.
Many of your competitors – for the jobs you want, with the employers you’re targeting – are using LinkedIn to be found and network their way into the jobs they want. You need to do the same, just to keep pace with them.
As a Reach Certified Social Branding Analyst (The LinkedIn Training and Certification Program), and 7+ year active user of LinkedIn, I have the expertise to:
- Brand and generate chemistry in your LinkedIn profile.
- Position your ROI and unique promise of value to the employers you’re targeting.
- Boost your profile’s SEO (search engine optimization), so your profile will land higher in LinkedIn search results.
- Coach you to network your way to your next great-fit gig on LinkedIn.
Having trouble integrating your personal brand with your LinkedIn profile for executive job search, and positioning yourself as a great-fit candidate?
photo by Coletivo Mambembe